Monday, May 9, 2011

One Project Checked off the Honey Do List!

Considering we've experienced a very wet, cold spring this year, the spring projects just keep piling up! Most weekends have not been nice enough to get out and start "knocking out" the outdoor projects. A beautiful weekend was forcasted last week, so my husband and I decided we had better take advantage of it. This side of our yard has been an eye sore for a while now and needed a bit of sprucing up. The grass was encroaching into the bed and needed to be cut back a lot! I pulled out the garden hose, formed the hose in a curved pattern (that I thought would look best), then my husband cut the lines with a sod cutter and pulled the grass out. Thanks honey! That was not an easy job! It took a lot of muscle POWER!




I'm always looking for ideas to tweek my landscape to maximize its potential. Unfortunately it usually boils down to lack of time and lack of money. Does that sound familiar to many of you gardeners? This project took some time but won't really cost all that much to add a few more plants to help it be more aesthetically pleasing.




My son even pitched in to help out with the bed. His job was to throw the grass remnants in the wheel barrow and dump them in the field behind our house.








Now all I have left to do is lay down some sort of border alongside the grass to help keep it from encroaching into the bed again. Then the fun part comes when I get to decide what to add to this bed to give it four seasons of interest. I'll start making my wish list now!





Now that I think about it, this bed needs a fresh layer of rich dark compost...yes that will finish it off quite nicely.
























6 comments:

  1. Oh, tell me about it... This has been a very cold, dreary spring but I hear we're getting some warm days next week. Can't wait to get back out there and play in the mud! Your landscaping is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that we are all suffering from "cold wet spring fever".

    But it's got to stop one day. Your gardens are gorgeous, and so immaculate.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your weather and ours has been so similar. Plus add in wind here! ugh. But your project looks great ~ I like the curve. I'm sure you'll finish it off beautifully. I definitely know how hard grass is to take out ~ I've been doing some of that myself. whew. Hopefully, we'll get better and better weather from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had some warm days, but cold and wet is back. At least the lettuce will do better without the heat. Hey, you could plant some lettuce in the border! It's looking great. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona, There is nothing like a beautiful curve on a bed to make it look fresh. I use the hose too. The whole front of your area is full of potential now. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I hear you all talking about the cold and wet and we are just the opposite here...so hot and dry...what is with this weird weather?!

    I love the potential of a new/expanded bed! Yippee - so fun coming up with various ideas and seeing which ones flush out!

    ReplyDelete