Friday, April 15, 2011

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day-April 2011

-Hello garden friends! It has been a few weeks since I've posted anything on my garden blog, but it's great to be back. In a nutshell I was very sick for a couple weeks, was involved in my nephew's wedding, had company from out-of-state, and this week is our spring break! I finally had a little time to take some photos of my early spring garden a couple days ago. Wednesday was a beautiful day so I took advantage of the mild weather to pull weeds and prune perennials. I was out in the garden for hours and my back can vouch for that. The weather here has been so fickle! We've had very few days to work in the yard. In fact it snowed all last weekend and during my nephew's wedding! I was the photographer...try taking photos in the snow! Crazy! I'M SO SICK OF THE SNOW! I need sunlight and warm weather. No kidding...we've had six long months of winter. I need to win the lottery so I can buy a winter home out of Utah! O.K. I'll stop complaining.

Saucer Magnolia x Soulangeana

I'm happy to report that I actually have a few blooms to share on Garden Blogger's Bloom Day! We've had an unusually cool wet spring season so far, even for Utah.

Creeping Phlox x Subulata


I'm not sure what variety of tulip this is. It's an early bloomer. These were given to us a few years ago.



This is my sweet little snow pea plant. I planted the seeds a month ago, but with the extremely cool weather, it has slowed the progress of my spring garden.

7 comments:

  1. I was trying to get a good shot of Magnolia x soulangeana for GBBD and couldn't. Your is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the color on that tulip! Great to see blooms this time of year, I'm still waiting on my first of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your magnolia. Your tulips look unusual to me, not the typical shape I have seen here I don't think? I love the second last photo of them in a line towards the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ramona, I'm a California gardener and have been enjoying Spring days for quite a long time. But I like seeing the photos of your early spring blooms! The saucer magnolia is one my favorite trees and so beautiful when in bloom, and those tulips are so pretty and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your blooms! I hope it doesn't snow anymore for any of us this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, I'm glad I was able to get of shot of the saucer magnolia blooms because a few days later we had snow and they all died...so sad!

    ONG, hope you have blooms soon. This spring has been very cool and wintery for us.

    Mac, gald you enjoyed the magnolia and tulips. Check out my most recent post of the Tulip Festival.

    Dorothy, I think I need a winter home somewhere so I can enjoy a longer spring. Saucer magnolias are beautiful trees, especially in the spring.

    Corner Gardener Sue, I'll have to think optimistically about no more snow this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you've still been getting snow Ramona! yuck. Luckily all our moisture for the last month or more has been in the form of rain.
    Your magnolia blooms are gorgeous! Even with the snow, it's ahead of my 'Jane' (which has zero blooms yet!) Smart of you to plant the sweet peas so early ~ I always wait too late then it's too hot for them. Hope it warms up and stays that way for you soon.

    ReplyDelete