Friday, February 25, 2011

Reminicing About Paradise-Part 1

"Never lose an opportunity to see anything that is beautiful. It is God's handwriting-a wayside sacrament. Welcome it in every fair face, every fair sky, every fair flower."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


Since there is absolutely nothing in bloom in my garden right now I thought I would reminice and share some beautiful photos of my dream vacation. Almost four years ago my husband and I were able to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary on two beautiful Hawaiian islands-Oahu and Maui. I took so many beautiful photos, so this is only a small sampling of the beauty captured. Everywhere you looked there were lush green plants and a rainbow of colorful flowers and plants! If only I could have bottled this trip and opened it up in winter, I would truly be in paradise again!!! The images in part 1 of my posts were taken on the island of Oahu.
The hibiscus flower just says "tropical" to me. You could find them in just about every color.



Something that amazes me about the vegetation in Hawaii, is that these plants are sold on the main land as indoor house plants. In Hawaii they grow everwhere and thrive outside in their humid climate!






If you are ever on Oahu, you must visit the Polynesian Culture Center. There is so much to see and do there. You will not be disappointed. The remainder of the pictures were taken there.
















The handmade leis were exquisite and they smelled so sweet!


I believe this variety of plumeria was called "rainbow." Doesn't it look like it was drawn with pastels? So BEAUTIFUL!


These handcrafted hats were so cool!











8 comments:

  1. Hi Ramona!
    Your photos make me want to visit Hawaii even more ~ and I've been wanting to go for a long time. So great you were able to go for your anniversary. I think it would be a perfect destination to celebrate 20 years! I bet the plumeria smells incredible.
    Hope you have a great weekend too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I haven't been to Hawaii since I was a teenager. Maybe someday...

    I will be in Washington DC during cherry blossom time- that will have to be as close to an awesome garden trip as I'll get this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful. I have several family members that have been to Hawaii, but they are not interested in gardens, so they didn't have beautiful pictures like this to share. Looks like a true paradise there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now those are some sweet photos and ridiculously welcome this time of year. I am psyched to have found your blog and look forward to following along. Oh yeah, I have nothing blooming either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramona,
    So many years since I visited Hawaii, it was certainly time to revisit!
    Now following, and look forward to exploring many more gardens with you:-)
    Alice
    aka Alice's Garden Travel Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  6. These is what i call a really dreamed vacation, here at the end of february. i always, the leis are gorgeous, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Ramona for these warm, sunny pictures! Love those hats! I brought a woven bowl from Hawaii. The green color faded a bit, but it's still a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog. I invite you to visit mine and follow me if you want too.

    God bless you :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete