Wednesday, February 2, 2011

'Apple Blossom' Imposter



O.K. This is my first time to force bulbs indoors, so I will admit I am inexperienced with this method of gardening, but I was completely surprised when my 'Apple Blossom' amaryllis bloomed into THIS!!! Don't think I don't appreciate this beautiful amaryllis, but what kind is she? Maybe she cross-pollinated with 'Red Lion' on the shelf next to her. Who knows???



Here's the proof that I purchased and potted what I thought was an 'Apple Blossom' amaryllis.


Correct me if I'm wrong, but from other posts that I've seen, 'Apple Blossom' is a pink and white amaryllis, as pictured on the box.

Here's my bulb a few weeks after planting...coming along quite nicely.


As the buds began to emerge, I thought they looked a bit more red than pink, but I guess I was still in denial that it was a different variety of amaryllis than 'Apple Blossom.'

I ended up with a beautiful cherry red and white amaryllis, but I have no idea what variety it is. Can you amaryllis lovers please help me out and tell me what variety I have?


Oh well, although this amaryllis came into my possession as an imposter, I'm enjoying the beautiful blooms and plan to purchase more amaryllis next year!

5 comments:

  1. Although unexpected you can't deny its beauty! Sorry, I can't help identify it - not much experience with bulbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blossom. I also had a cuople of them last year, but they didn't last me long. They died too early.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Ramona even if it isn't 'Apple Blossom.' I believe you have a 'Minerva' Amaryllis. I get kind of upset when bulbs are mixed up on me just because I'm usually looking for specific ones. I'm glad you aren't discouraged tho and plan to buy more. They sure help me get thru the winter! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kathleen. I knew if anyone might know which variety this is it would be you, since you are an amaryllis lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a Minerva to me too. They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete