Monday, January 24, 2011

Think PINK-or Should I Say Honeysuckle!

GOLDFLAME HONEYSUCKLE 'Lonicera hackrottii'
Fast growing semi-evergreen to deciduous vine with blue-green leaves. Flowers are coral-pink with yellow inside. Blooms spring through fall. 15' long twining stems. Plant in sun; light shade inland. Zone 4.

For all you gardeners who love pink, this year is the time to incorporate the Pantone 2011 color of the year, Honeysuckle! "A dynamic reddish pink, Honeysuckle is encouraging and uplifting. Pantone, the global authority on color and provider of professional standards for the design industries, announced Pantone Honeysuckle, a vibrant energetic hue, as the color of the year."
I first read about this announcement from Jodi, over at http://www.bloomingwriter.blogspot.com/ a few weeks ago in a post she submitted. Since then, I have been seeing more info about this color. I thought I would share it with you. You can now start your own quest for 'Honeysuckle' pink.


I decided to launch my own quest to find examples of this color in flowers. This Mandevilla is pretty close to the Honeysuckle color with its reddish pink color.

I love Mandevilla because of its tropical characteristics! The trumpet shaped flowers and glossy green foliage are so beautiful!


Here are just a few examples of the Honeysuckle pink shade in nail polish, lipstick, and clothing. The nail polish is called Flower-to-flower (how applicable) and the lipstick name was faded on the bottom (so I couldn't tell), but the idea is to find colors that are the reddish pink like the honeysuckle pink.


This is an apron I made last summer. The fabric is a vintage style fabric with flower seed packet designs...there's also some of the honeysuckle pink.










I found this Breast Cancer awareness T-shirt last weekend clearanced for less than $5...nice Honeysuckle pink don't you think?

A local TV show called Studio 5 had this segment showcasing ideas to incorporate "honeysuckle pink" in fashion, home decor, and even cosmetics. I thought you might enjoy viewing the video of the segment.



9 comments:

  1. Ramona, i never even realized there were colors of the year that were promoted in clothes, lipstick, and even plants. Goldflame honeysuckle is a beautiful color. It's also native and has a delicious spicey fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't either, Carolyn...and Goldflame honeysuckle had such a wonderful sweet smell last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color! loved your idea of searching for examples all around us. It inspired me for some projects. Thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the honeysuckle - I grew it in my Chicago garden, but have never planted one here in California. And I do prefer plants with great fragrance! I wonder if it's not as popular in the West.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely color... and you gave us a great heads up to watch for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd read this post before we went to trivia night a couple weeks ago... one of the questions was to name the Pantone color of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ramona! I'm all over this color ~ it's my favorite! Great examples you showed too. I like that nail polish. I have a honeysuckle that looks similar climbing my backyard arbor but I've forgotten the name. Maybe I could just say it's this one?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I heard that pink was being referred to as honeysuckle, I had to do a double take, since honeysuckle is often yellow. But I think the pink varieties are beautiful! Very cute apron!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I just found your blog through Blotanical, and like it. I also read about the color of the year and now I find it everywhere! Funny guys of media! lula

    ReplyDelete