Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sunrise Over the Utah Rocky Mountains

Since there's not much going on in my garden right now, I chose to focus on the magestic beauty of our mountains. This morning on my walk, I brought my camera along to capture the snow-capped mountains in my neck-of-the woods. Like one of our fellow garden bloggers said the other day, when everything is brown (or white in my case) on the ground, look up!

This is the Wasatch mountain range which is part of the Rocky Mountains. The snow has finally melted off the roads, thanks to the warmer temperatures and sunshine we had yesterday and this past weekend. When I say warm, I mean mid forties and low fifties! That is a heat wave in January for us folks!

Beautiful mountains you say! Yes thy are, but unless you are an avid snow skier, snow boarder, or any other winter sports enthusiast, you will begin to get cabin fever about February or March when all our other southern region gardeners are planting their gardens and bragging about their camellias in bloom!











I guess I'll just stay close to the fire and sip on my hot chocolate for four more months until the ground thaws and I can plant something outside! Anyway, enjoy the snow pics and come visit Utah if you're looking for some fun in the snow!




14 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your pictures. I've enjoyed this heat wave, except I wish it meant spring is coming, not a break from a couple more months+ of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are beautiful especially that first one. It's neat to see the Rockies from the other side. A heat wave for us in January is about the same temperatures.
    It does seem like a long time until we can plant anything. Luckily there will be spring bulbs to enjoy before that. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first picture is spectacular! I feel for you, not being able to garden for another 4 months! Hang in there...things will "look up." But at least you've got some majestic views in the meantime. Have some hot chocolate for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be a heat wave for the mid-Atlantic in mid-January too. I know that cabin fever feeling because I used to live in Maine. You really have to be into winter sports. Thanks for showing us your mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon your blog this morning and am so happy to find another Utah Garden Blogger. Our mountains are exquisite, and your pics are beautiful. I've added you to my list of Utah Blogs. Look forward to visiting you again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photographs are beautiful and capture the majesty of the mountains. Fences are a particular favorite of mine to photograph...the fence in your pictures is calling me! Enjoy your hot chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ramona
    Refreshing, brisk, beautiful ... the magnificent Rockies!
    I hesitate to admit that I've never been to Utah.
    But it's now on my bucket list,
    Alice
    aka Alice's Garden Travel Buzz /
    & thank you for stopping by .. Bay Area Tendrils

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, those mountains are beautiful! Do you know about SkyWatch Friday? You could link a post like this to it. It turns Friday somewhere in the world our Thursday afternoon. People from all over the world show skies along with what's below them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, Kathleen, Toni, Carolyn, Meredehuit, Cat, Alice Joyce, and Sue, thanks so much for your great comments and encouragement for getting through the winter months when all I want to do is get outside and garden! It's wonderful to share a common interest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Ramona!

    I was down in the valley yesterday, (working at the OR show then shopping without a coat on.) Oh, I do envy your warmer temps on days like this. Beautiful pics of our beloved mountains. Argh... 4 months 'til planting? Stay warm, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Kate, what is the OR show? I'm glad you were able to enjoy the warmer temps too. Have you started packing yet? I sure wish I could tag along with you to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi again Ramona. I just had to tell you that I feel like being a "snowbird" so many winters too and I give myself that same little pep talk every fall!!!! You are so right, it's not the cold at all ~ it's how long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ramona, Love those mountain pics. You did a great job, I use to do jigsaw puzzles with mountain scenery on them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had the wonderful view every time I drove! Beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete