Saturday, January 1, 2011

Paperwhites Bloomed for Christmas!

I'm just now getting a few minutes to update my paperwhite experiment...and guess what? They bloomed just a few days before Christmas! What a great Christmas gift! Everytime I walk in my laundry room I get a wiff of paperwhite aroma. I must admit, the scent is a little strong for me, hence this is why they were moved to my laundry room. Everytime I pass by the room, the flowers bring a smile to my face!

A week before Christmas, I drove 3 1/2 hours to visit my daughter at college, and bring her home for Christmas. While I was away, my husband called to let me know my paperwhites had bloomed. That was GREAT news! When I got home I was able to capture a few pictures to share, but because of the craziness of the holidays I am just now posting them. Now with anticipation I am waiting for my amaryllis to bloom.




To give a little stability to the bulbs and weigh the container, I added polished rocks around the base. It also adds a finished look to the bulbs.



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! My paperwhites are blooming too and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks the aroma is a little strong...sometimes I walk into the kitchen and think "whew...what's that?"! The flowers are so charming though and I'm enjoying their beauty as all else is resting in the garden! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know but to have charming flowers I'm willing to put up with a little "stinky!" While everything else in the garden is sleeping, it is wonderful to have something blooming indoors. Now if I could only fast-forward through January and February I would be a estatic woman! Happy New Year to you Whimsical Gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful that you had timely paperwhites... I can never seem to pull of the scheduling on forced bulbs.

    Your carrots post is featured on today's How to Find Great Plants. Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! So glad they bloomed in time! I don't particularly like the fragrance but like you, I'll take anything with a bloom this time of year. Happy New Year to you! I hope 'Apple Blossom' blooms soon too. It will be worth the wait. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the love link Eliza from my carrots post... Helpful info on "How to Find Great Plants."

    ReplyDelete